Friday, March 19, 2010

Lost in Sleep

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

I haven't been able to post very much recently as the family has been adjusting to the arrival of Eli to the homestead.

One thing has to be said: I am proud to be a father, but it is starting to get hard to balance my life with his. Now, before everyone goes and gets upset because I am whining about some sort of "loss of independence," I have to say a few things.

1. I am proud to be a father.
2. It has made the days longer as well as the nights, but that just means I have an excuse to stay awake and watch Lord of the Rings with my son. (You'll get it eventually.)
3. Balancing jobs and worrying about what is happening at home is extremely difficult. I go to work and just wish I was at home so I could help out--and to some degree when I am at home I worry about work.

Now on to the whiny bit: It is hard to balance what I want to do with what needs to be done. I didn't realize how much of my life was frivolously spent playing video games and doing silly nerd things. As of now however, it is even hard to find time to look for a job let alone get a few quests in on WoW. I suppose it is all relative, I don't need to do all the things I used to do...but like a finely cut cocaine, some of the things that I like to do are hard to cut back on. (I.E. GAMING.)

All in all things are going well...I wouldn't trade the sleepless nights...okay maybe one of them...for anything else in the world now. I feel compelled to meet all of his needs even though I don't understand what all of his needs are. (Which are few at the moment...but it's hard to read a baby's mind.)

Plus, Mom is helping Dad out as well. She is the bedrock and the guidance which I need to help out as much as I can in the house and with Eli. I am very lucky to have her. (Plus she looks bangin' for having given birth only two weeks ago.)

For now...Geek Dad out. Perhaps I will have a true geek post here in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment