Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Clean Your Own Damn Bowl!

A friend related a story to me about the last days of her pregnancy that seems to apply to me. She was days away from giving birth, and up tot his time her husband had been a saint. He had been cooking and cleaning and helping her as much as possible, in every way imaginable. One morning she asked for oatmeal for breakfast (the usual order), and after finishing her oatmeal she handed the bowl to the husband and politely asked him to clean it. There was fire in his eyes, and a sudden chord was struck and an epic battle followed. (Insert "Duel of the Fates" here.) Dishes were thrown, words were exchanged, chests heaved with the efforts of yelling at one another. Eventually the fight died down, and things returned to normal. While regrouping and figuring out why they were both fighting over a dirty bowl, the husband confessed that he felt as though he was losing a little independence as the due date inched closer and he was asserting himself by not washing the bowl. The last gasp of a rebel without a cause.

Apparently I am currently in the throes of "not washing the bowl" for myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not refusing to help my wife with daily chores or anything- I am just filling my free time with the things that I like to do the most. And that is gaming and watching movies. Those two things are my golf. To be honest I am very nervous and worked up about Eli's birth, so I am compensating. When I am not doing something I am literally counting the hours until he gets here-waiting til I have to be "on" and ready to be Dad. And I know now that I am ready for it. I need him to be here, for my sake and Amy's sake....things are now uncomfortable for her and I am rather helpless to do anything but give her a hand (literally) to help her stand up. So here we are....waiting for him to be here. Waiting to go on a grand adventure. Waiting. ("The Waiting is the Hardest Part") So until then....I will play Star Trek Online. And I will clean the catbox. And I will drink (when applicable). I will do dishes, and cook dinner.

But I also will wash the bowl the only way I know how: by blowing up Klingons.

No comments:

Post a Comment